One of the things I like most about Thailand is how cheap it is to keep yourself in good shape here. I used to spend a fortune on health insurance (thanks America) but here it’s easy to get cheap medical insurance for just over a hundred dollars a month. All in all, I spend about 30% of what I did back home for medical care and insurance here.
One of the reasons it’s so cheap is that hospitals here are damn cheap overall. It only costs the equivalent of $20 to go to the doctor for a check up if you’re feeling a little under the weather, and this is the price for an international hospital and whatever prescription medicine you’re given after your meeting with the doctor. Very nice compared to hundreds of dollars anywhere else.
I’ve put together a list of the best hospitals and clinics (general medical and dental) in Bangkok for you to use if you’re ever feeling under the weather or in need of medical care. I’ve visited all of the places listed here and they’re only a few of the options available, but they’re the ones I can vouch for as being really high quality and well priced.
- Bumrungrad Hospital (this is the most popular international hospital in Bangkok for Western tourists)
- Samitivej Hospital (this hospital is on Sukhumvit Soi 49 and seems popular with Japanese expats and tourists – it’s a little less expensive than Bumrungrad and in a better area)
- BNH Hosptial (Bangkok Nursing Home Hospital – convenient if you live on the Silom side of town)
- Inno-Dent (General dental clinic that’s a 20-30 minute drive from central Bangkok, great for things like whitening and general dentistry)
- Veneers Bangkok (Company that offers cosmetic dental services to foreigners and medical tourists – they work directly with several clinics in Bangkok)